Friday, July 06, 2007

POPEYE (what else is new?) and SAN DIEGO



First of all, my apologies for having been away from my blog for so long.
And my thanks to Jackson Publick for pointing out that I've been away from my blog for so long.

Here, I'm posting two Popeye pieces most of you've probably never seen before. The first pic is something I did for Jerry Beck's APATOONS, several years ago. As Jerry posted recently on CARTOON BREW, he'll be on a panel at the San Diego Con celebrating Popeye's career, and touting the release of Warner Video's awesome new DVD set. The news is, I also will be on that panel, attending San Diego for the first time in, no shit, fifteen years. San Diego used to weird me out, and honestly, I'm a little nervous about attending, but am also looking forward to the panel. It's on Thursday morning of the con, which seems like a weird time to me, but, whatever. Thanks to the folks at Warner for promising to fly me out there, and of course, to King Features' Frank Caruso, who insisted I go. Please, please, if you're attending the con, stop by and say hello.
The second drawing is a rough of the only new piece I did for the forthcoming POPEYE DVD packaging.

4 comments:

katzenjammer studios said...

Holy smokes, what great drawings! I love your inked line on the old APATOONS cover.

Unknown said...

Wow, I really like! Try to have fun in San Diego and forget how over rated it is (hahaha). I'm not a fan of San Diego, my sister was living there before moving to LA.

Glad to see ya posting!

:: smo :: said...

oh man! i just read about that popeye panel on cartoon brew. i'm going to the con and i'll be at that panel for sure! sweet!

Lovelace said...

Stephen, I can hardly imagine a cooler gig than representing Popeye in San Diego. Have a swell time.